BREXIT Special, Key Points:
- Introduction. With BREXIT looming, British and Australian professionals may be thinking of working in each other’s countries;
- Legislation. Our laws, regulations and codes of practice are quite similar;
- Guidance. Try the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or the Safe Work Australia websites – both are excellent;
- Jurisdictions. This is complex in a federated state like Australia, so Brits need to do their homework;
- Regulators. This varies by industry/domain – many are very similar, while some are quite different;
- Cultural Issues: Australia vs. the UK. Brits and Aussies are likely to feel quite comfortable working in each other’s countries; and
- Cultural Issues: Australia vs. the EU. There are some commonalities across the EU, but also dramatic differences.
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
I am starting my own business, making online safety training videos, and I need your advice.
As many of you know, I’ve been a safety engineer for many years. That’s how many of us met. I enjoy the work and helping clients to achieve good solutions, but working for the public and private sectors has it’s frustrations. Money, politics and sometimes oversized egos often manage to get in the way! I suspect that I am not alone in this experience.
So, I’ve decided to provide training on system safety and related topics online. Using the internet allows me to reach anyone, anywhere efficiently. Interested individuals can connect to quality training at their convenience while keeping the price affordable. No corporations, no contracts, no middle management. Users can access training anonymously if they wish, so nobody needs to be embarrassed about what they don’t – yet – know.
I have started to post some resources on my website, and I would appreciate your honest feedback on what you find there.
Friends and Colleagues: What do you wish you had learnt a bit earlier in your career? What would have helped you, your employer, your clients? What would help your less experienced colleagues?
Back to: Main Page
Maybe you are a manager who needs to understand what your safety staff do. Or perhaps you think that you might need to bring in a specialist: What are your options? What do you need? What’s really the best way to achieve it?
If any of these issues sound familiar, then read on…
Back to: Main Page
Here is the short (15 mins) video on System Safety Principles, which is a sample of the full (45 mins) video on the subject.
- Foundational statement;
- Management Authority;
- Safety Precedence;
- Safety Requirements;
- System Analyses;
- Assumptions & Criteria;
- Emphasis & Results;
- Management Authority Responsibilities;
- Software hazard analysis; and
- An Effective System Safety Program.
See both the videos on Patreon, here.